Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Organisation Week - Day 3 of 7

Designer Series Paper Swatches & Storage Boxes


We all accumulate fancy papers.  The paper from Stampin' Up! is called Designer Series Paper.  It is designed to co-ordinate with  cardstock, inks and even some Stamp Sets and Dies.  It is very versatile. 

Having so much it is really helpful to have swatches on hand so that you can decide what you are going to use. 

As the paper comes in 2 different sizes - 6" x 6" or 12" x 12", I have different swatches for both. 

6" x 6" Swatch Book


These are my swatches for two of the NEW Designer Series Paper coming in the 2017 - 2018 Annual Catalogue.  They are both pretty amazing.  I don't make these very big as 6" x 6" is not very big and who wants to waste the paper.  I take one sheet of each paper and cut them at the 4 inches mark.  I keep the 4" x 6" to use on a card front ( I will show you how I store these tomorrow) and the remaining 2" x 6" I use for making the swatch booklet. 

I then cut each sheet 1/4" shorter than the last.
eg. bottom sheet 6", next up 5-3/4", then 5-1/2", 5" etc. 
I keep going until the last sheet.  There are usually 12 sheets in total.  If there were anymore than this I would break the booklet down into 2, or cut the pieces at 1/8" intervals (as I did for the Colour Theory DSP - even though I did this as I didn't want to miss the pattern on the paper by cutting them shorter). 
I then cut a co-ordinating cardstock piece measuring 2" x 7" and score it at 6" and 6-1/8". 
Put all the pieces of Designer Series Paper (DSP) together making sure they all align at the top - you will see the waterfall effect.
Fold the cardstock over the front and staple.  I use a label to show what the paper is.


On the back I glue on a label that indicates the Name, Catalogue, Order number and what cardstock co-ordinates with the paper. 
I don't actually use a specific label for this.  I just make these up in excel and print them out on computer paper and stick them on with tape or glue.  Make sure the margin on excel is slightly smaller than the 2".

12" x 12" Swatch Book


Again, here are some sneak peaks of some of the 12" x 12" Designer Series paper coming in the new catalogue.  I make these exactly the same as the smaller ones but cut them at the 4" mark.  A fellow Aussie Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, Kylie Bertucci, says Love It - Chop It.  If you have Designer Series Paper you have to chop it up, otherwise you will not use it. 

I cut at least one of my pieces into 6 pieces.  I cut at the sheet into 3 x 4" strips.  I then take each of these strips and cut them half at 6".  These are the perfect size for a card front.  I use one of these 6 pieces to make my swatch booklet - again cutting the pieces at the 1/4" mark to get the staggered look.  Again, cutting the co-ordinating cardstock colour at 4" x 7" and scored at 6" and 6-1/4" to make the cover.  Staple them together and label.  As you flick through you can see both sides.



Again labelled at the back with Name, Catalogue, order number and co-ordinating cardstock.  Typed up on the computer using Excel making sure the columns are no wider than 5-1/2", print out, cut and glue on.  Too easy!

NOW.... Storage of these swatches

How about a Swatch Box :)


These are very easy to make.  I will give step by step for the larger one, and then just give measurements for the smaller one.

OK.  These actually need to be made using 12" x 12" cardstock.  I used black because I knew what paper I wanted around the outside. But I will show how to make it using White so you can see the lines. 

1.  Cut the sheet down to 8-1/2" x 12".
2.  Score the 8-1/2" side at 2" and 6-1/2".
3.  Score the 12" side at 6" and 8"

It will look like this:



4.  Cut the sides along the 6" and 8" mark only up to the scored line (2")




5.  Make sure the paper is the right way up (larger part at top to bottom).  Mark down each side 2" and draw a line from the top 2" to side 2" and the same on the other side.



6.  Cut along these lines. 




7.  Fold all the score lines and then turn the paper over.
8.  Place tape along the places marked.




9.  Fold the box up, making sure the long side is on the outside and press together where the tape is.  Make sure the small folded area is on the inside. 



10.  Attach the other side and the box is done.



11.  Now cut out the following measurements of Designer Series Paper or decorate as you like.
Front: 4-1/4" x 3-3/4"
Back: 4-1/4" x 5-3/4"
Sides: 1-3/4" x 5-3/4" - will need two.  Cut the diagonals to fit.
Adhere with glue or tear and tape or adhesive of your choice.

12.  Swatch box complete - now admire :)


Now for the smaller swatch box.

Make exactly the same, but the measurements are:
1.  Cut 12" x 12" sheet into 6-1/2" x 12"
2.  Score 6-1/2 inch side at 2" & 4-1/2"
3.  Score 12" side at 6" and 8"
4 - 10.  Same as for the larger box.
11. Designer Series Paper sizes
Front: 2-1/4" x 3-3/4"
Back: 2-1/4" x 5-3/4"
Sides 1-3/4" x 5-1/2" - will need two and cut the diagonals to fit.
12.  Swatch boxes complete. 

If you live in Australia, feel free to contact me for support, tips, hints or help with building your supplies.  Happy to answer any questions - follow the link to the Contact me page. 

Also, if you live in Australia, I would love to be your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator.  Follow the link to my online store for any supplies or contact me for more information.  I can even help you to become a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator which has fantastic benefits. 



No comments:

Post a Comment